On this Sunday 8th May we will be climbing the Galtees. The Galtees are approx. 50 miles from here.This is an event that we like to have as many as possible attend as it is a great challenge to all the boys to complete it.It will take us 5 to 6 hrs approx. to complete it.This hike is 16 km long and while its difficult in parts it is one that the boys will be able to complete. The last section to the top is fairly steep and very uneven under foot
We would hope that as many as possible attend this. Parents are more than welcome to come with us on this hike as the more help we have on this the better.We will also be contacting some parents as we feel that some of the boys are going to struggle to get up this hill and the only way we can bring them is to have a parent with them in case they need to turn back
The following are the details
1. Meet Scout hall 8-30am sharp (Transport is required)For those without transport please bring €5 with you to cover the fuel price for the person carrying you.
2. Hiking Gear required as follows (Hiking Boots are a must, Rain Jacket, Waterproof pants, No Jeans, Hiking socks, Warm clothes,Hoodie,hat,Gloves,Scarf,Change of clothes for end of hike).Anyone arriving with the incorrect footwear will not be allowed come with us for safety reasons.
3. No Fizzy Drinks
4. Sandwiches, Chocolate, Bananas, Fruit, Water or any drink as long as it’s not fizzy, some lads like to carry flasks of tea/coffee/soup to have at the top. Please make sure they have plenty of food and drinks.
5. A good and proper hiking bag. One that supports the back and has plenty of side pockets and hip support. Make sure it fits properly as one that is too big makes it very uncomfortable for the boys trying to carry it that distance.
6. Allowing for a 6 hour hike starting no later than 11am we should be down the mountain no later than 5pm at worst.
NB PRESENT INDICATIONS ARE THAT THE WEATHER FOR The GALTEES ON SUNDAY IS SHOWERY IN THE MORNING DRYING OFF IN THE AFTERNOON.
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT SHOULD THE WEATHER TAKE A TURN FOR THE WORST WE WILL CANCEL IT AT THE VERY LAST MOMENT IF NEED BE.THE SAFETY OF EVERYONE IS NUMBER ONE.
If you require any other details please contact after 2pm any day
Looking forward to seeing you and you kid on Sunday
PS: Please click the below link for map