Congratulations to all the Scouts, Ventures and Rovers finishing up their school exams this week. Congratulations to the following scouts/ventures/rovers who recieved awards recently:
- Eoin Caffery (Chess)
- Frank McDonagh (Student Council Award)
- Andrew O’Neill (Crean Challenge)
- Conor Hempenstall (Crean Challenge)
- Michael Quigley (Crean Challenge)
- Kevin Dunne (Bronze Gaisce/Fáinne)
- Andy O’Carroll (Bronze Gaisce)
The Scouts, Ventures and Rovers have been a great help to the Group this year. We couldn’t have had the amazing year we had without them. We hope ye enjoy the summer. We’d also like to wish any doing State Exams starting next week, including Andrew, Conor and Michael doing the Junior Cert.
This year the Beavers and Cubs came together to run a joint camp this year in the Srahan Scout Centre with perfect weather. The Cubs arrived Friday night and camped for 2 nights (five of the senior cubs bivyed for the two nights). We were joined on the Saturday afternoon by the Beavers who were camping for one night.
On Friday the Cubs arrived to find their tents up and a bouncing castle waiting for them. The older cubs went off to build a bivvy shelter and a gateway for the campsite. That night we went for a walk through the forest
On the Saturday morning the Ventures and Scout Leaders ran activities around the centre including fire lighting, making pop corn on a camping stove, semaphore, bamboo pioneering and a blind trail. That evening we had an amazing campfire led by Peter Roche (former Cub Leader in Caherdavin). The next morning the beavers and cubs helped take down the tents before being collected by the parents.
Thanks to all the Scouters and Ventures for their work this weekend. Thanks also to Peter Roche for running a brilliant campfire and to Pat Guilfoyle for helping us transport gear. Photos of this event can be found by clicking the below link
This year, the 23rd Limerick Scout Group is hosting a Joint Beaver and Cub Annual Camp at the Srahan Scout Centre in Tipperary.
Cubs are asked to arrange their own transport to Srahan and arrive from Friday May 25th at 7pm.All cubs must be at Srahan no later than 8pm
Beavers are asked to arrange their own transport to Srahan and arrivebetween 11am and 12pm Saturday May 26th.
Beavers/Cubs must be Collected on Sunday May 27th at 2pm
What to Bring
All Beavers and Cubs are required to bring the following gear. Essential items marked with an asterix(*)
- Gear bag or Rucksack*
- Sleeping Bag*
- Ground Mat*
- Change of clothes x 3*
- Plate, Bowl, Mug*
- Knife, Fork, Spoon*
- Rain gear (Jacket & Over Trousers)*
- Packed Tea for Cubs on Friday night
Please put your child’s name on all items. Beavers and Cubs are responsible for keeping their gear together.
The following items are banned on the camp:
- Electrical Items (phones, iPods, PSPs, DSs etc)
- Fizzy drinks & chewing gum
How to get there
Here are the directions from the Scout Hall
- Take the motorway to Dublin; continue on this road until you come to EXIT 22 for Roscrea. The distance from the Clonmacken Toll to this Turn off is 74.7 KM
- Continue towards Roscrea until you come to McDonald’s roundabout. McDonald’s Roundabout is 3 km from exit 22
- Take the N7 road for Dublin and continue on this road until you pass a Pub on your Left called The Highway Inn (Now Closed).Take the next LEFT turn sign posted for Laois Angling Centre. Distance from McDonald’s roundabout to turning is 6 km.
- We will also have our own signs on the road from here on. They will read CAHERDAVIN SCOUT GROUP
- You continue for approx. 8.7 Km pass straight passing through the village of Ballaghmore.You come to a STOP sign go RIGHT here and continue over Narrow Bridge until you come to village of Camross 1.5Km approx. from Narrow Bridge
- Go straight through the Village and then go left at the crossroads at the end of village
- Approx. 2.2 Km from turning take a LEFT for Glenkitt just before a Narrow Bridge
- Then approx. 0.7 Km on Turn RIGHT for Srahan Castle. Follow this road till you come to Srahan Scout Centre.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact the leaders. Please keep an eye on www.caherdavinscouts.ie for updates.
Mike O’Halloran – Cub Section Leader 087 2392429
Barry Kennedy 085 7284899
Thanks to all those who came along to our quiz this week. Without your continued support our group would be lost. Thanks also to those who helped organise the quiz and to Na Piarsaigh for hosting us.
On the night Des McKeown (Group Leader) and Barry Kennedy (Ast. Scout Leader) presented Michael Quigley, Conor Hempenstall and Andrew O’Neill with a certificate and a voucher to recognise their achievement on the Crean Challenge earlier in the year. We were also reunited with our good friend Paddy the Bear who has returned from his nautical adventure
The County Cub camp takes place this year from Friday June 22nd to Sunday June 24th 2012.The venue for this event is Pallaskenry Collage Co Limerick.The cost of this event is €25 per cub.
This is an extra event we have added to our calender and it has been a few years since we took part in this event.The theme for the event is the Olympics.This is a 2 night camping event.
All money for this event must be paid in on or before Tuesday next May 22nd.Sorry for the short notice on this event.We cannot except money after this date as we have to pay the County the fee.
If you need any other information please contact me on