Our Scout Meeting this week will be a hike up the Twelve O’Clock Hills in Clare. This is an easy enough route that’s roughly 8.25km in lenght with a height gain of 304m.
We’ll be meeting at the Snatty Trail Head at 7pm (this Trail Head is roughly 1.2km further up the road from the traditional Belvoir Trailhead which is undergoing some maintenance at present)
Scouts are required to bring the following:
- Hiking Boots
- Rain Gear
- Hat & Gloves
- Small snack
- Personal First Aid Kit
If you’ve any questions, please contact Barry on 085 7284899.
The County Shield is taking place in Copeswood College, Pallaskenry this weekend. Scouts need to be onsite for 5.30pm on Friday for the opening ceremony at 6pm. The closing ceremony is at 3pm. Scouts are asked to return to the Scout Hall to help put away gear after
There is a visiting time between 8pm and 9pm on Saturday evening if family members want to call out to see what the scouts have been doing.
The following gear is required:
- Weekend bag
- Day Bag
- Rain Gear
- Changes of Clothes x 3
- Hat & Gloves
- Sleeping bag
- Ground Mat
- Hiking Boots
- Wash Gear
- Tea Towel
- Full Scout Uniform (Please bring this up, ironed, to the scout hall on Thursday so we can store until needed)
While this is a competition, our main aim is for the Scouts to have fun over the weekend.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me
FOUNDERS DAY DETAILS
The following are the details for this Sundays Founders Day Cub County Event to be held on the grounds of Curraghchase Scout House
1. Cubs are asked to meet at Caherdavin Scout Hall at 9-30am sharp. Transport will be required to and from event. Car-pooling is advised as parking in and around Curraghchase Scout house is very limited
2. Cubs must bring a packed lunch with them
3. As this is an outdoor event please make sure that the cubs have correct gear for weather. Warm Jacket, Gloves, Hat, Hiking shoes/boots recommended. Present weather indications are for dry but cold weather
4. Cubs must be picked up at Curraghchase Scout House at 2-45pm
5. As our base is themed on Egypt if any cubs wish to dress up in Egyptian style that would be great
6. Neckerchief must be worn. Please do not wear the rest of the uniform as it may get destroyed if the weather turns wet.
7. For those driving to Curraghchase please follow the instructions of the traffic stewards when you get there. The will be a one way system in place in and out of the area. Please follow the signposts.
NB PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THE TURNOING INTO THE MAIN CURRAGHCHASE FOREST PARK BUT PASS THIS OUT TILL YOU SEE THE LIMERICK SCOUT COUNTY EVENT SIGNPOST APPROX 1KM BEYOND FOREST PARK ON LEFT HAND SIDE.YOU WILL ALSO SEE KILEEN GUESTHOUSE ON THIS TURNING
Click on the link below for Google Maps Directions To Curraghchase Scout House from Caherdavin Scout Hall
On this Sunday 11th February we will be hiking up Moylussa Clares highest point at 532mThis is an event that we like to have as many as possible attend as it is a great challenge to all the boys to complete it.It will take us 4 hrs approx. to complete it.This hike is 11 km long and while its difficult in parts it is one that the boys will be able to complete. It is all forest path and tracks and sleepers the whole way to the top. The last section to the top is a little uneven under foot
We would hope that as many as possible attend this. Parents are more than welcome to come with us on this hike as the more help we have on this the better.
The following are the details
- Meet Scout hall 9-30am sharp (Transport is required)
- Hiking Gear required as follows (Hiking Boots or shoes, Rain Jacket, Waterproof pants, No Jeans, Hiking socks, Warm clothes,Hoodie,hat,Gloves,Scarf,Change of clothes for end of hike).This gear can be got in Radar Stores or any of the Hiking shops around the city.Make sure you say you in Caherdavin Scouts when using Radar Stores for discount
- No Fizzy Drinks
- Sandwiches, Chocolate, Bananas, Fruit, Water or any drink as long as it’s not fizzy, some lads like to carry flasks of tea/coffee/soup to have at the top. Please make sure they have plenty of food and drinks.
- A good and proper hiking bag. One that supports the back and has plenty of side pockets and hip support. Make sure it fits properly as one that is too big makes it very uncomfortable for the boys trying to carry it that distance.
- Allowing for a 4 hour hike starting no later than 10-30am we should be down the mountain no later than 2-30pm at worst.
- For those picking up your kids at the scout hall afterwards we will sent out a text as we are leaving the car park at Two Mile gatel allow us 25 to 30 mins to get back to Scout Hall
NB PRESENT INDICATIONS ARE THAT THE WEATHER FOR KEEPER HILL ON SUNDAY IS DRY ALL DAY BUT COLD ESPECIALLY AT THE TOP OF THE HILL.
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT SHOULD THE WEATHER TAKE A TURN FOR THE WORST WE WILL CANCEL IT AT THE VERY LAST MOMENT IF NEED BE.THE SAFETY OF EVERYONE IS NUMBER ONE.
If you require any other details please contact after 2pm any day
Looking forward to seeing you and you kid on Sunday
PS: This note will be up on Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/caherdavinscouts/?ref=hl
Click on the link below for directions from Scout hall to Car Park at Two Mile gate just outside Killaloe
The Scouts and Ventures will be going Rock Climbing on Thursday 18th January. The venue is the SUAS Climbing Centre in the Burlington Business Park in Clonlara. This is the same place we went to in October. We’ll be meeting at 7.30pm and should be finished around 9pm. We’ll have a short investiture ceremony and badge presentation after the climbing. There’s a viewing area if parents want to wait. Tea and Coffee can be purchased at the counter.
Scouts are asked to wear comfortable clothing on the evening. Please bring along the €13.50 on the night.
- Head towards Limerick City via St Munchin’s Church and cross over Thomond Bridge
- Take the second exit off the roundabout onto Island Road
- Turn left at St Mary’s Church onto Athlunkard Street
- At the roundabout take the first exit onto Corbally Road. Follow Corbally road for 2.5km
- Turn right at Mughal’s Topaz Service Station
- Follow this road from 2km until you see the Old Burlington factory on your right (look for red & green barriers)
- The SUAS Climbing Centre is in near the back of the estate (in between Kidstown and SplatTown)
Google Maps link
If you have any questions – please contact Barry on 085-7284899
The following are the list of events planned and costing for the cubs for the year 2017/18
JAN 27 /28 SLEEPOVER HALL COST €3
FEB 11 CRAIG WOOD HIKE CLIMB TO HIGHEST MOUNTAIN IN Co CLARE
FEB 24 COUNTY FOUNDERS DAY MORE DETAILS AS SOON AS WE GET THE
MAR 25 KEEPER HILL HIKE
APRIL 20 TO 21 CASTLECONNELL CAMPING SLEEPOVER €10 PER CUB
MAY 19/20 COUNTY CUB CHALLENGE
JUNE 22 TO 24 ANNUAL CUB CAMP €125 PER CUB VENUE CUSKINNY ACTIVITY CENTRE
COBH CO CORK ( €20 DEPOSIT TO BE PAID ON OR BEFORE 13TH FEB 2018).BALANACE TO BE PAID ON OR BEFORE MAY 15TH 2018)
PARENTS WHO WISH TO PAY FOR EVENTS ON A WEEKLY BASES CAN DO SO BUT WE ASK YOU TO PUT IT INTO AN ENVELOPE WITH YOUR CHILDS NAME ON IT AND WHAT YOUR PAYING FOR.RECEIPTS WILL BE ISSUED FOR ALL PAYMENTS.PLEASE ADHERE TO THE ABOVE PAYMENT DATES FOR EVENTS
THE SECOND HALF FEE OF €85 PER BOY IS NOW DUE AND MUST BE PAID ON OR BEFORE TUESDAY MARCH 13TH 2018.THIS CAN BE PAID ON A WEEKLY BASIS.AS BEFORE PLEASE MAKE SURE IT IS IN AN ENVELOPE WITH AMOUNT AND WHAT YOUR PAYING FOR
Michael O Halloran (after 2pm any day)
This Saturday 16th Decemeber, the Scouts will be hiking up to the top of Moylussa in Clare followed by a sleepover in the Scout Hall. There will be no meeting this week
We’ll be climbing Moylusa, the highest point in Co. Clare.
We’ll be meeting at the Two Mile Gate Car Park (near Killaloe) at 9am sharp. Scouts can leave a bag with a spare change of clothes and footwear in the leaders cars.
The following gear is required:
- Hiking Boots*
- Rain Gear*
- Water 1.5 Litre minimum*
- Bivy Bag
- First Aid Kit
- Extra layers in Bag (Eg Extra Jumper/Fleece)
- Hat and Gloves*
- Packed lunch
- Trail Snacks*
Based on the weather we’ve had recently we expect it to be cold. Dress accordingly
Depending on conditions at the summit, we may attempt a small navigation exercise. We aim to be back to the car park at by 1pm (we’ll post a message in the whatsapp group to confirm)
The Scouts are asked to be at the Scout Hall from 6pm onwards and must be collected on Sunday morning between 9-30am and 10am
Scouts need to bring the following
- Sleeping Bag
- ground mat
- Tourch (Optional)
They can bring sweets with them but please do not overload them with sweets.
No Chewing allowed or Fizzy Drinks. We have plenty of drinks for them
The cost is €6 which will cover food.
No Mobile Phones allowed. Any electronic devices are brought at their own risk
We recently held a training session for our leaders on how to use a Map & Compass. Here are some useful links on this topic:
Hill walking Scheme Overview
Maps – Reading Grid References
Maps – Scale & Grids
Maps – Relief (ie Contours)
Using a compass (video)
Hillwalking Logbook Template
Leave No Trace
The Beavers had a fantastic halloween party on Monday night with costumes, sweets and games.
Click here for more photos